Addictions come in a variety of forms. Alcohol, drugs, gambling, pornography, gaming, social media, internet and the list goes on. Regardless of what the addiction is, all severely impact the individual, their friends and family.
There's a big difference between responsible drinking, gaming, gambling etc and having an addiction.
How do I tell if I need professional help?
- Does your addiction take up significant amount of your time (thinking, planning, and doing) ?
- Do you find yourself making excuses or hiding your addictive behaviour?
- Does your addictive behaviour impact your relationship, finances, work or health?
- Have you tried to reduce or cease the addictive behaviour but been unsuccessful?
- Do you feel you lose control of your behaviour at times?
All addictions serve a function in an individuals life. Usually it provides an escape from the various challenges and stressors one may be facing.
Professional support and treatment is available. You can learn to live without the addiction and develop alternative coping mechanisms.