Most of us love the beach. Perhaps not necessarily going for a swim but most people agree that even going for a walk along the beach is quite relaxing.
But why ? What is it about the sand, the blue salty water and that horizon that makes it so enticing?
Well there’s a fair bit of science behind why we humans love the beach so much:
- Even staring at the water changes our brain waves' frequency and can puts us into a mild meditative state.
- Breathing in that ocean mist can also help calm your brain and individuals with asthma or breathing difficulties will find it easier to breathe on the beach, than almost anywhere else; this also improves sleep!
- Feeling the sand between your toes or the sensation of the water on your feet is a great grounding exercise.
- Our prefrontal cortex has been shown to be engaged when listening to ocean sounds (the area of the brain associated with emotion and self-reflection).
- And the beach rarely changes. You could be walking along the same beach you used to play on as a kid 30+ years ago and chances are very little has changed.
So if you’re like many of our clients who are lucky enough to live close to the beach, make the most of it!
Especially now the weather is finally warming up - hit the beach for that sunrise or sunset walk, take the dog to the dog beach, take the boat out, pack that picnic basket or even have a quick dip!